Despite the pandemic, construction remains one of the largest sectors in the UK economy with a turnover of £370 billion, contributing £138 billion in value added to the UK economy and employing 3.1 million people (9% of the total UK workforce). 
According to and the UK’s Industrial Strategy, the government has cited construction as one of its priority sectors. The Construction Sector Deal specifically sets out a partnership between government and industry that aims to transform the sector’s productivity through innovative technologies and a more highly skilled workforce. 
So, if you’re in the construction industry, what does this mean for you? 
Did you know that if you want to teach adults you don’t need a teaching qualification from university? The qualification you need to teach in the post-compulsory education sector is the Level 3 Award in Education and Training. Ideally, you’ll also bolt-on the Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement too, which is the assessor qualification. 
Here is a lot more information about how you can turn your existing business into a training centre. But in short, you need one or two people with a teaching qualification, one or two people with an assessing qualification (these can be the same people) and THEN you’ll need to find a suitable awarding body. 
An awarding body is an examination board that sets exams and awards qualifications. Awarding bodies you might already know include City and Guilds, OCR, Open College Network, VTCT, NCFE, Cache, CPD, AQA… there are lots of them. It’s really important that the awarding body you choose is the right one: choosing the wrong one is one of the top mistakes business owners make when they set up as training centres

What qualifications could you deliver once you have qualified staff? 

The general rule with most awarding bodies is that they want you to have an absolute minimum of 6 months of work experience in the subject you want to teach and assess and, even better, a qualification one level higher than the one you want to assess. That said, if you have 10 years’ experience but no qualification, you are unlikely to be sent away. That will all depend on your awarding body’s requirements though. 
Some subjects you might want to deliver include: 
• Associated Industrial Services Occupations 
• Building Maintenance Multi-Trade Repair and Refurbishment Operations 
• Cladding Occupations 
• Construction and Civil Engineering Operations 
• Construction Site Management 
• Construction Site Supervision 
• Controlling Lifting Operations 
• Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations 
• Formwork Occupations 
• Interior Systems 
• Occupational Work Supervision 
• Plant Operations 
• Plastering 
• Roofing Occupations 
• Trowel Occupations 
• Wall and Floor Tiling 
• Waterproof Membrane Roofing Systems 
• Wood Occupations 
All these subject sector areas have accredited qualifications such as NVQs, awards, certificates and diplomas attached that your organisation will be eligible to deliver once your staff are qualified. You may even be eligible to offer apprenticeships. 
Here at SKL Training, we make the process of getting qualified as straightforward as possible. We’ve worked with multiple construction and engineering companies who have chosen to upskill their staff and diversify their businesses. Your staff can get qualified in teaching and assessing through our no-homework option, meaning in just 7 sessions they will have achieved BOTH their Level 3 Award in Education and Training AND their Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement! 
There’s no hanging around for months waiting for certificates as we can claim for them as soon as your staff complete their classroom sessions. The course is ideal for people who learn in a practical way – which is likely to be the case if you’re in the construction industry! 
If you want to see how adding a training arm could benefit your business, contact us! We’re happy to help. 
Other blogs you might find useful: 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings